TIFF 2011 award winnersTIFF announced its 2011 award winners earlier this afternoon. The coveted People's Choice Award was a bit of a surprise, going to a film we didn't think that much of. Nevertheless, it seems we were in the minority when it came to the overwhelming audience response for Nadine Labaki's Where do We Go Now, a film TIFF says tells the "heartwarming tale of a group of women's determination to protect their isolated, mine-encircled community from the pervasive and divisive outside forces that threaten to destroy it from within". The film screens for free at 6pm later today at the Ryerson Theatre.
Other 2011 award winners included:
* Cadillac People's Choice Award Runner-Ups: A Separation and Starbuck
* Cadillac People's Choice Award Documentary: The Island President
* Cadillac People's Choice Award Documentary Runner-Ups: First Position and Pearl Jam Twenty
* Cadillac People's Choice Midnight Madness Award: The Raid
* Cadillac People's Choice Midnight Madness Award Runner-Ups: You're Next and God Bless America
* Skyy Vodka Award for Best Canadian Feature Film: Edwin Boyd
* City of Toronto Award for Best Canadian Feature Film: Monsieur Lazhar
* Best Canadian Short Film: Doubles With Slight Pepper.
* FIPRESCI Prize for Discovery: Avalon
* FIPRESCI Prize for Special Presentations: The First Man
TIFF 2011 award winners