CBC and Cisco proudly announce that One Million Acts of Green (OMAoG) has reached a significant and impressive milestone. We have just surpassed 500,000 acts of green registered online at www.onemillionactsofgreen.com. This represents a reduction of nearly 25,000,000 kg of greenhouse gas.
This campaign milestone has been achieved far more quickly than weanticipated - in less than two months - thanks to the eagerparticipation of Canadians, and, at last check, we have reached 520,000 acts in our goal to get to one million. It has been the dedicated work of communities, schools, businesses and green-minded individuals who have actively and creatively participated in the OMAoG challenge to get us to this point.
* Trent University is proving that it is taking the lead as green schools go - they have 443 members on the OMAOG site with 13,651 added acts and a green house gas reduction of 679,122.65 kg.
* Manitoba-based MTS Allstream has been super active as a company group, committing over 6,000 acts.
* Look out for some healthy competition in Alberta over the month of December as the town of Okotoks issues a formal challenge to the town of Airdrie on December 15. It will be the first city/town challenge issued on behalf of OMAoG and clearly “The Greenest Town” title is on the line.
Mike Holmes, Canada’s favourite handyman has been actively involved with sustainable community builds near Okotoks, and he has discussed his own acts of green when he’s been interviewed on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos. We’ve had various, international celebrities pitching in along side Canadians to get the word out - Tim Robbins, Jason Priestley, Alanis Morissette, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and David Foster are among the list of celebrities who have shared their green tips and pledges for the campaign while on set of The Hour.
It’s easy to get involved, and it’s not about overhauling your life; it’s about one act from each individual amassing to a million.
In the past month alone, we have launched our French language companion site - Un Million De Gestes Verts (UMGV) - www.unmilliondegestesverts.com..., and introduced a new Facebook
application so all acts of green can be shared in users Facebook status updates and encourage other Facebook friends to act. Based on helpful user feedback to the OMAoG site, we have added new acts and soon, we’ll launch seasonal acts some of which include:
*Recycle Your Christmas Tree
* Reuse or Make Your Own Wrapping Paper
* Send an e-Card Instead of a Paper Card
* Avoid Using Disposable Plates, Glasses, and Cutlery
* Avoid Excess Packaging, by Giving Gift Alternatives
* Buy Carbon Offsets
There will be continued updates and new material added to the OMAoG
site as the campaign continues.
Surpassing 500,000 acts is massive. Congratulations and appreciation goes all Canadians who have taken the time and interest to commit one act of “green” (or more), then register those acts. Here’s to the next 500,000!
www.onemillionactsofgreen.com & www.unmilliondegestesverts.com...
One Million Acts of Green at half-way point